Saturday, March 30, 2013

'Con anima' (with spirit) by Linden Lancaster




Every single day my life is filled with music…
This is a whole cloth quilt created with two layers, cotton and silk organza. Monoprinted and handpainted with thickened dyes.
This piece is intended to evoke effects of beautiful music; the feeling of oneself being lifted into a world outside of ours.
I used elements, such as the bird flying upwards, indicating the spirit, and a strain of music, which is escaping from its boundaries, to represent this concept. 


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt! I looks like a symphony. I love the textural background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This says music and movement to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hear music while looking at this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great design with a beautiful fairytale. Could look at it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very complex piece with many layers. Something makes me want to keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Pleasing to the eye.
    This is gorgeous. delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Music is a wonderful thing, isn't it? There are so many elements here to explore and I really like the transparent effects you've created. One of my favorite element though, is the phrase, "con anima" because we have to face every single day with spirit, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Powerful imagery, those yellow flashes give life and hope to the quilt. What amazingly intricate stitching. I do like this quilt

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous - it brings to mind 'The Lark Ascending', one of my favourite pieces.

    ReplyDelete