Friday, January 31, 2014

A balanced diet - celery and chocolate

The theme of balance has so many options. My first inspiration was to reproduce a 1930s poster of a beauty poised on a diving board. But even though I found many posters that I liked, I decided that applique was something I have used successfully many times before, so I went with a second choice. I wanted to try something more improvisational and abstract. I often admire Melody Johnson's work and  how she combines saturated colours with mixed piecing and applique, and machine and hand stitching.

I tried not to plan, sketch or be too literal. It was much harder than I imagined, but my trusty portable design wall helped me to add, take away, alter proportions etc. I felt happy when I got to the stage where the piece looked balanced whichever way up it was.

One of my aims was to use hand stitching and/or beading. I have a drawer full of threads and another of beads. I only managed to use a token amount of both. Even though I know of artists using them successfully all the time, for me they suddenly tip a work over into 'tea cosy' craftiness and away from the design elements I am more interested in.

If you look closely you can see the words Cadbury's and Celery stitched  into the quilting. Both foods
are high in antioxidants and therefore nutritionally sound!


9 comments:

  1. A very interesting concept, one that I can appreciate being a foodie and choc-o-holic! I believe chocolate should form the foundation of any balanced diet (not so keen on celery but love the celery colour you have used). Your use of line and shape really appeals to me. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your diet, Julia! Such a great combination of colors and forms! I love abstractions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting concept and very well carried out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an unlikely combo...but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I love this quilt! Wonderful abstraction and perfect color choices. I wish I could see some more of the details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever idea. Fabulous diet (!!) with colours that blend beautifully. I think you've created something special and unusual here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julia, I just love this piece. I can assure you that chocolate and celery is my kind of diet. Should I be admitting to that? The lines in this piece are a delight to look at. I very much enjoy your colour pallet as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a must in any diet! The green and brown are fresh, not sure if it's because they remind me of peppermint crisp (the South African one). Where is the celery hiding, I have looked and looked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking at your piece without reading the AS and AP I could not figure out what it was about, but all the same I like your color palette and your abstract built up composition. Well done
    Ann-Mari

    ReplyDelete