Thursday, July 31, 2014

Under the surface - a long time ago


 With this theme, I decided - literally - to go under the surface. When archeologists dig, they relate to the different layers the soil has, and can place the different artifacts according to these layers. In 1905, two archeologists started digging in the Oseberg burial mound at Slagen in Tunsberg, and found one of the finest finds to have survived the Viking age. 
This treasure has inspired me in so many ways, so this is my tribute to what our ancestors left us. The green grass-grown mound above the surface, and the burial-ship with all its beautiful content under.



Cotton painted with fabric paint and gesso, fused applique, machine and hand quilted and some french knots.




8 comments:

  1. A really beautiful image. You always add interesting details with texture and line that make me want to look again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely soft colour palette, and you have shown the idea of ages of time passing with your textures and linen. I think this shows how different your cultural history is from ours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your colour palette and your interpretation of the theme. One can really see the different soil layers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have captured the essence of layers of history so well. There's a feeling of peace too. I love the simple graphic lines and details in this, it shows your style so well

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw the quilt I immediately understood that it was yours. The subtle sensitive and earthy colors and the simplicity in the design. You always have just what is needed and nothing unneeded in your works. Looking at the piece also gives me a sense of tranquility. A lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your interpratation of the theme through theconcept of achealogy is really wonderful. Very stylish. Love the earthy pallete and hand work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent idea, Greta. I love your soft palette and use of shape and line, drawing us around the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice, quiet piece. Immediatly I thought of Scandinavia and the viking ship, we saw in Oslo. But you showed clearly all lthe layers under which the old ships were buried.

    ReplyDelete